About the Artist
Cari was born into a family of painters, photographers, musicians, writers, and architects. Art, music, and literature were encouraged and pursued in her home. Cari began drawing as soon as she could hold a pencil and made friends in kindergarten by giving away crayon drawings.
Her high school art teacher, Tim Collins, gave her a strong foundation in drawing, art history and color theory, and a love of representational art.
Cari began her college career as an art major, but was discouraged from pursuing art by the bias against representational art which permeated the art world in the 1970s. After raising a family, Cari began to feel the urge to paint and draw again. She soon discovered the Scottsdale Artists' School where she studied with many fantastic teachers including Bill Lundquist, Gabor Svagrik, Amery Bohling, Craig Birch, James Coulter, Dan Robinson, Michael Albrechtsen, Kate Starling, Matt Smith, Kevin Macpherson, and Ray Roberts.
Born in California, raised in Utah and Wyoming, and now living in Arizona, Cari feels strongly drawn to both the intimate vignettes and the vast vistas of the West.
- Wingate Foundation Scholarship (merit scholarship), Scottsdale Artists' School, Scottsdale, Arizona, 2012.
- Rouge Simpson Scholarship (merit scholarship) Scottsdale Artists' School, Scottsdale, Arizona, 2010.
- Arizona State Fair, Third and Fourth place ribbons in oil painting category.
- Purchase Award, Church History Museum, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2010.
- Arizona State Fair, Second place ribbon in oil painting category, 2008.
- Best and Brightest Juried Fine Art Show, Second Place Drawing/Pastel, Scottsdale Artists' School, Scottsdale, Arizona, 2007.
- Ruth R. Kaspar Scholarship (merit scholarship), Scottsdale Artists' School, Scottsdale, Arizona, 2006.
- Arizona State Fair, First place ribbon in themed category, 2006.
- Northern Trust Exhibit for Scottsdale Artists' School 30 Year Anniversary, 2013.
- Arizona Art Alliance Arizona Centennial Exhibit, Arizona Attorney General's office, Phoenix, Arizona, 2012.
- Eighth International Art Competition, Church History Museum, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2009.
- Best and Brightest Juried Art Show, Scottsdale Artists' School, Scottsdale, Arizona, 2006, 2007 and 2009-2015.
- Arizona State Fair, 2006-2013.
- Founding Member of The Ateliers Group ("TAG"), Mesa, Arizona, 2009 - 2016.